This week we are traveling to Libya and taking a look at Libya 1 Dinar p68b 2008 note. The note has beautiful, intricate, geometric designs, and is blue/green in color. Pick 68b was introduced in 2008 featuring different signatures than the 2004 version p68a.

The front on this note features a likeness of Muammar Qaddafi. Qaddafi was the de facto leader of Libya from 1969 until his assassination in 2011. Originally, a well-liked military leader who led a bloodless coup, Qaddafi fell in and out of favor throughout the 4 decades he controlled Libya. Qaddafi created his own political theory said to solve the problems with capitalism and communism; however, it proved to be meaningless criticisms. Instead, he used his political theories as a cover to subjugate an entire population. In 2011 the first signs of revolt appeared, by August 2011 he would be removed from power, and in October rebel forces found Qaddafi hiding in a tunnel and executed him.

The back of the note shows Mawlai Muhammad mosque in Tripoli. Tripoli is the capitol of this largely Muslim country. With over 97% of the country being Sunni Muslim, and the remaining 3% being Ibadi Muslims, Christiams, Hindus, Baha’is, Ahmadi Muslims, and Budhists. The Mawlai Muhammad mosque is located in central Tripoli, with its beautiful architecture and two Minarets it is easily recognized. Minarets in Islamic architecture are the towers used to call Muslims to prayer 5 times each day.

This note shows the importance of Islam in Libya and gives a glimpse of the dictator that controlled Libya for over 40 years. This 1 Dinar is a striking note from the North African country of Libya and is a great addition to anyone’s collection.

Country: Libya
Denomination: 1 Dinar
Pick #: 68b
Year: 2008
Grade: UNC (Crimp on bottom edge)
Other Info: Signature 10
Coloration: Blue
Depictions: Muammar Qaddafi; Mawlai Muhammad mosque
Note Size: 5 1/2″ x 2 3/4 “
Continent: Africa
Watermark: Qaddafi