This week we will be traveling to the South American country of Suriname to look at their 10 Gulden p147 2000 note.  This note is beautifully colorful and features the green throated mango hummingbird, butterflies, a stag beetle registration device, the Suriname Coat of Arms, the Central Bank van Suriname at the Waterkant (Riverside Boulevard) in Paramaribo (the capital city), and the Scarlet Star flower.  This note is our current featured note and for a limited time is available at a discounted price!

Something interesting that I learned about the country of Suriname is that although it is considered a Caribbean country in culture, Dutch is the official language of Suriname.  It is spoken as a first language by about 60% of the population, and as a second or third language by most of the remaining 40%.  This is because the Dutch took control of most of the country in the 1600s.

The green throated mango that is pictured on the front of the note is a beautiful species of hummingbird.  These tiny birds are only about 4 inches long and weigh less than 1/3 of an ounce!  They have a slightly curved long black beak.  Just like the hummingbirds we are used to, these birds feed on nectar from large flowers and will also eat insects. 

The registration device on this note is shaped like a stag beetle.  These beetles are typically about 2 inches long, but some species can grow to over 4 inches (which is the same size as the hummingbird we were just talking about)!  This beetle is named after its mandibles which are shaped like the antlers of a stag (but only the males have them – so the one depicted on this note is male).  The males use these mandibles to fight over females or food.

The Scarlet Star flower got its name because the flower has a star shape when viewed from above.  This plant is a perennial, so it flowers every year.  It is native to the rainforest, which makes up a great deal of Suriname’s land.  The one pictured on this note is red, but the flower can also be orange, yellow, or pink.

I love how vivid this note is and that it features some lovely creatures and a plant that you can find native to Suriname.  I hope you enjoy it as well!

Country: Suriname
Denomination: 10 Gulden
Pick #: 147
Year: 2000
Grade: UNC
Coloration: Green
Depictions: Green throated mango hummingbird, butterflies, stag beetle registration device, Suriname Coat of Arms, Central Bank van Suriname at the Waterkant in Paramaribo, Scarlet Star flower
Note Size: 5 1/2″ x 2 3/4″
Continent: South America
Watermark: Bank Headquarters