Well, January is almost gone and it seems like only yesterday we were celebrating the New Year. Of course our thoughts are turning to Spring, especially as we have already had some Arctic type weather with two large snow falls. Talking of Arctic weather – check out some great new Arctic Territory “FUN” notes just arrived – beautiful notes featuring Polar Bears, Puffins, and a Walrus (please don’t break out into the Beatles song!!!) Anyway, I hope the list has something of interest. I am trying to vary the lists and offer some different types of notes and from those harder to find countries. I specifically love the colorful note from New Caledonia (p50c). Sadly, I could only get 10 of these, so this may be one to sell out quickly. Enjoy the list and again I hope there is something here that you would like to add to your collection.
PS: Please note and watch grades on this list most are UNC, but there are a some that are aUNC and VG/VF. As you know, I never want to catch anyone by over-grading. If unsure ask questions and as I go through the list here I do try to point out any anomalies or grading issues….
- Algeria – this is an amazing older (hard to believe that the 70’s are 45 years ago, just seems like yesterday to me) note from Algeria. The depictions on this 10 dinar note is just amazing. This note is not UNC, but grades out as a nice XF (sold to me as aUNC)
- Angola – Angola notes, whether Kwanza or Escudos are amazing notes and this escudos note is a great example of beautiful notes from an interesting country with a sad history. See my old notes list for many other great Angolan notes.
- China – Always interesting notes from China and with so many varieties and types around especially as they have been issuing banknotes longer than anyone. Two of these notes are regular Yuan notes, but one is the unusual portrait landscaped Custom Gold Unit. Sadly, as they are now very old notes the grade is not UNC, but they are in nice F/VG grade.
- Egypt – two nice “pound” notes from Egypt. Great looking designs for these new issues. These banknotes would definitely make a nice addition to any collection.
- Estonia – Nice simple Krooni note from Estonia. Banknote has great coloration.
- Finland – Beautiful Markka currency with amazing blue coloration. Note is one that would make a great addition to your Finnish banknote collection. Finnish notes seem to be getting harder to find and definitely worth buying while you see this one.
- Ghana – Note has amazing coloration and depictions. Ghana cedis notes, especially from this era, are simply amazing banknotes and this one in particular would make a great addition to any collection.
- Great Britain – Interesting “pence” military script notes from Great Britain (England, Scotland, and Wales.) The pounds have been on the lists before and sold very quickly. Although these military banknotes are of simple design they are still great looking notes.
- Guyana – Amazing banknote from this South American country. It is a new issue and I believe the highest value dollar note issued to date. Great coloration and interesting depiction of birds in flight. The bird is called the Canje Pheasant (aka – Haotzin) and is a very amazing bird (definitely worth reading about).
- Haiti – Interesting selection of notes from Haiti. Banknotes are all Gourde currency and they all have interesting coloration and depictions.
- Japan – a selection of some great older notes. Again, like the Chinese banknotes, these are older notes and of course not UNC. However some grade as high as aUNC/XF and are some great examples of currency from Japan just after the Second World War. (One is post first world war and is now nearly 100 years old.)
- Lesotho – what an amazing banknote from Lesotho. This note is a colorful 50 Maloti bill and definitely would make a nice addition to any banknote collection.
- Malta – nice interesting pair of notes. One featuring King George VI and one featuring Queen Elizabeth II (see blog on banknotes featuring Queen Elizabeth II). Note are over 60 years old and are in VF/F grade. Any note from Malta is hard to find these days.
- Mozambique – always nice notes issued by Mozambique and the 10,000 Meticais note is an amazingly beautiful note. In addition the set of 5 notes are all interesting looking banknotes and well worth looking at.
- Netherlands Indies – very interesting Japan occupied Roepiah note from Netherland Indies where it is very hard to find any banknotes these days. I do have a few more of these notes on my old banknote list – some are regular issues and some are more Japanese occupied notes. Great opportunity to pick up a rare note in such nice grade. Grades at aUNC/XF (sold to me as UNC, but wanted to be on the safe side and down grade a little as it is now 70 years old)
- New Caledonia – another country where it is hard to find banknotes. One note is an interesting note from 1926 and is a nicely graded F/VG bill, especially considering it is nearly 90 years old. The second note p50c is a stunning note with amazing coloration and depictions. This note was sold to me as UNC and can see no issues with it at all. A rare opportunity to get this beautiful note from a country where it seems hard to find banknote now.
- Portugal – these pre Euro escudos banknotes from Portugal are always very popular and as always with Portuguese notes, they have great depictions and coloration. As they are no longer printed it seems that bills from Portugal are becoming much scarcer now.
- Spain – as with Portugal, these pre Euro pesetas notes are getting hard to find. Not all banknotes are UNC so be careful with grading before you buy.
- Sweden – again another European country where banknotes are getting hard to find. This note is over 65 years old and has great coloration and depictions. Definitely and interesting Kroner bill for your collection.
- Yemen Arab Republic – there had recently been a surge in Yemen banknotes and this selection has some beautiful looking rial note, including the amazing and interesting newer 2009 issues. Definitely worth checking out these notes and one is the special offer for the list and would make a great addition to any collection at a great price.
- Zimbabwe – I call this set of notes the “no sense” cents notes. Not sure why after issuing a 100,000 dollar note and with inflation raging, they decided to issue cents notes (see my blog on Zimbabwe banknotes and Zimbabwe inflation). as we all know it was not long before they went from cents to a 100 trillion dollar banknote. Zimbabwe banknotes have seen a major increase in collectible interest and I will try to continue to add more notes to the list and website as they are a major piece of history and what inflation can do to a nation and their currency. As far as I know they now just us the US dollar and South African rand.
Well that is about it for the list. Again, I hope you “like” my offerings this week. As always if you have questions or requests feel free to contact me. I will always do my best to help in any way I can.
Finally, my special list of older (and some rarer) notes will be out before the end of the month. I am so excited to have this complete at last – it took a long time on the grading (again never want to mislead anyone) and whilst there will be no scans for most of these notes, I will work on adding some scans for the higher value rarer notes as quickly as I can. I will send a confirmation email when it is available on the website, which I expect will be by the middle of the week. I know it has taken longer than anticipated and several people have asked about it. I apologize for the delay, but it will be out as promised in January.